- Do not open or respond to online solicitations for personal information
- Carry only necessary identification
- Don’t provide your social security number as identification unless it’s truly needed to sign up for a service
- Make photocopies of all the information you carry daily and store them in a secure location, such as a safe deposit box
- Shred financial or personal documents before discarding
- If possible, use paperless options, such as eStatements and Online Bill Pay
- Frequently review your bank account activity online for suspicious activity
Online fraud is when someone poses as a legitimate company to obtain personal data and illegally conducts transactions on existing accounts.“Phishing” or“spoofing” are common methods to obtain sensitive information by using fake emails, websites or pop-up windows.
Remember: Community Bank, N.A. will never send unsolicited email containing attachments or require customers to send personal information via email or pop-up windows. Any unsolicited request for Community Bank, N.A. account information you receive should be considered fraudulent and reported to us immediately.
- Ask for personal information
- Appear to be from a legitimate source
- Contain fraudulent job offers
- Contain prize or gift certificate offers
- Link to counterfeit websites or legitimate websites
- Contain both fraudulent and real phone numbers
Email addresses are often obtained from publicly available resources or through randomly generated lists. If you receive a fake email that appears to be from Community Bank, N.A., this does not mean that your email address, name or any other information has been taken from Community Bank’s systems.
- Delete any suspicious emails without opening them. If you do open a suspicious email, do not open any attachments or click on any links it may contain.
- Never provide sensitive account or personal information in reply to an email.
- Be sure your home and office computers have current virus protection software and update it regularly.
- Keep your computer operating system and web browser current.